Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Worldwide Genealogy: 7 Tips When Researching U.S. Army World War II Soldiers

After nearly 30 years of researching my father-in-law's WWII military service, which began on 7 April 1941 and ended on 18 June 1945, I now know where he was on almost every day of that time. My husband and I have taken many terrific trips visiting those places and learning more about where he served. So it's no surprise I like to write about the war experiences of my ancestors. To skirmishes with Native Americans prior to the Revolutionary War right through the Global War on Terrorism. However, I write most frequently about my Civil War, World War I and World War II veteran ancestors' experiences. Today, I'd like to share with you what I've learned about researching U.S. Army World War II veteran ancestor -- one of the millions of citizen soldiers Tom Brokaw called the "Greatest Generation."

My seven tips are:

1. Order his military service record
2. Learn about the specific unit in which he served
3. Understand the role he played in his unit
4. Record the awards and decorations he earned
My father-in-law's ribbon "rack;" built using EZ Rack Builder[1]

5. Learn about the campaigns in which he served
6. Use unit societies' websites and books about units
7. Don't forget your women ancestors

To read the details behind each tip and the resources to use and how to find them, click over to 7 Tips When Researching U.S. Army World War II Soldiers at Worldwide Genealogy -- a Genealogical Collaboration.

_______________
Understanding the U.S. Army World War II Infantry Division
Army Campaign Streamers

1 comment: