Wednesday, November 11, 2015

New Loudoun County Revolutionary War Memorial

Through my local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), I learned about the Loudoun Revolutionary War Memorial project.

The memorial will honor the sacrifice and dedication of the men and women who struggled for the freedom of our nation during the Revolutionary War. A bronze statue will be unveiled in a ceremony today on the Loudoun County Courthouse grounds. As part of the project, supporters could purchase a brick engraved with information about their patriot ancestor or a veteran they wished to memorialize.

I purchased two:
  1. Benjamin Jennings (c1740-1815), my four times great grandfather, who served with the Virginia Militia from September through December 1776 and again with Morgan's Rifles from July 1777 through December 1778. During that time, he fought in the important Battles of Saratoga, which was a decisive victory over the British Army. I used Benjamin Jennings as my patriot ancestor on my DAR application because his military service was already proven.
  2. Samuel Beard (1750-1814), my four times great grandfather, who served for two years with the 5th Virginia Regiment, beginning in February 1776.  During that time he fought in the Battle of Brandywine. He was recalled to the Virginia Militia and sworn in as a captain on 23 September 1780. During this period of service, he fought in the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. He has previously been used by someone joining DAR, but now his service must be re-proved as entry requirements are more stringent. I have recently completed that proof and will soon be submitting my paperwork to DAR so that Samuel Beard's service may be recognized.
My husband and I visited the Loudoun County court house Sunday to get a sneak peek at the memorial and photograph our bricks. No bricks were in evidence but the memorial is quite lovely.

New Revolutionary War memorial on the grounds of the Loudoun County court house in
Leesburg, Virginia; personal collection 

_______________
George Washington Spoke to Him
Revolutionary War Soldier
British Surrender at Saratoga

No comments:

Post a Comment